‘Drunkenness, the ruin of reason, the destruction of strength, premature old age, momentary death’
– Saint Basil
No matter where you are from or what your age is, alcoholism is a disease that does not spare anyone! Once you get addicted to spirits, it becomes difficult to come out of the deep hole. The question is – What are the common causes of alcoholism?
As per us, there is no good reason for becoming an alcoholic. You are making endless excuses to drink a whole bottle. Sadness cannot be cured with a bottle of whiskey. Nobody gets the answers of life by washing down 10 shots of vodka.
It makes you feel dizzy and people pass out! What is the joy of drinking alcohol and not remembering the exact events that took place last night? When you are sober, you are able to cherish the moments spent with friends and loved ones.
For anyone who knows what alcoholism is, they need to understand what causes it. Can you help the drunkard in any way? It is possible that you can intervene and make some useful and positive changes in their life!
Alcoholism can spring up due to social, psychological, environmental and genetic factors. While some people choose to control their emotions, the drunkards do not wish to stay in touch with the realities of life.
What is the core cause of alcoholism?
We have covered the factors that are the possible causes of alcoholism. If you know an alcohol addict, watch them carefully and try to understand their reasons. Let’s start with the potential reasons:
- To Bid Adieu to Stress – It is possible that the person is stressed due to work and the environment at home. What if the wife/husband keeps nagging? We feel that stress can be relieved by intoxication. Drinking regularly to reduce stress is not the best option! There are certain occupations where the person is under tremendous pressure. These could be doctors, engineers, professors or even workers at factories. They day to day lives are extremely demanding and stressful. However, they can skip drinking whiskey/rum/vodka and read a book instead.
- Peer pressure – There is a connection between alcohol consumption and peer pressure. When we are young (13-20 years old), our gang may influence us negatively. They teach you how to drink or smoke because it looks cool! Even in today’s generation, drinking alcohol and going to late night parties is considered cool. In fact, losing your virginity at an early age and smoking is something that teenagers find enticing. You may have had your first drink because every other friend of yours was drinking! In such cases, you have a tough choice to make. Parents should sit down with their children and tell them the consequences of alcoholism.
- Depression – Did someone break your heart? Did your partner cheat on you? Are you going through a divorce? Are your parents separating? There could be a lot of reasons that lead to depression. When a person is depressed, they start drinking because it helps in escaping from the harsh realities of life. Does it help? Well, it gives you a high and you end up feeling sluggish in the morning. The only thing it does is that you get intoxicated and get to sleep without crying or feeling miserable. When a person feels depressed or anxious, they are easily wooed by a bottle of alcohol.
- History of your family – In case you have a family member who was/is an alcoholic, it is possible that the chances of YOU becoming a drunkard will increase. This might sound misleading to you, but there is something you ought to know. When you grow up in a family where the father was an alcoholic or the sister used to finish a whole bottle, you get influenced by the members. Most people start imitating their family members and it soon becomes a habit.
- Starting at an early age – The alcoholic must have had their first peg in high school. Once they get used to it and like the high they get, it becomes an addiction. Just like you are used to being with your partner, the drinks become your best buddies.
- Social status – We talked about the psychological and environmental factors, but there are social factors too. Peer pressure is one of them and social status is also one of the contributing factors. In the elite society, people meet in social gatherings and enjoy drinks. This is not to say that the lower income groups cannot afford drinks! They try to imitate the higher class individuals. It become a status symbol! You start spending more money on expensive drinks, champagne and wine. This is also to show your social media friends how cool and rich you are!
Words from the wise
We can ask you to put an end to it, but it is not that easy! There are a bunch of people who care about you and it hurts them to see you intoxicated. What is the point of not remembering your fulfilling date with a beautiful girl? Getting drunk and rolling on the floor makes you a joker in the crowd.
The society may find you cool and rich, but the alcohol is not doing any good to your body. It dehydrates your body and premature ageing is another consequence. Let’s not forget that alcoholism hurts people around you. You might be hurting the people physically and emotionally!
Enjoying a drink once or twice in a month is acceptable. Spend the same money on productive things like traveling the world or investing in a home. You could also eat good food and enjoy detox drinks!
Alcohol is not the solution to anything in this world! The fun is temporary and the high will vanish the next morning. Waking up with a hangover every morning is not the best feeling in the world.
So, wake up and drink coffee/green tea instead! Limit your alcohol intake and find other ways to enjoy yourselves.