Shots in your hand and a smile on your face. When we are young, the idea of getting drunk and partying seems like a great plan for the night. The trouble is that alcohol has empty calories, and it can be the cause of an increasing waistline. In today’s world, women are conscious about the way they look. In fact, men hit the gym every morning for a couple of hours to get abs and muscles. Nobody wants a paunch, but alcohol can make you fat.
The question is – Will I lose weight if I quit drinking? This is one of the questions that is hovering over your mind and we have the right answer for it.
Before we begin, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions. These are some thought-provoking genuine questions that only YOU can answer.
- Is alcohol consumption making your life better? Yes/No
- Let us say a cocktail at a bar costs $10. You spend $50 by ordering 5 of these at a party. Suppose you are spending the same amount thrice in a week on alcohol. How much will you save if you stopped drinking and enjoyed the party anyway? There is dancing, music, flirting and cracking silly jokes with friends.
- Did you see a change in your waistline after you started drinking regularly? Yes/No
- Is it necessary to drink alcohol?
We do not have to answer these questions. You can sit down and think about the answers. For us, it is not necessary to drink to enjoy. After taking too many drinks, you end up with a bad hangover. Also, the drunkards do not even remember what happened last night. What’s worse? You feel sluggish throughout the day.
The Truth about Your Favourite Alcoholic Drinks
Just like any other drink, alcohol has calories too. The innocent glass of red wine is not helpful to lose weight. Let us quickly skim through the calories that each of the popular drink has.
- Beer (regular) – 153 calories
- Beer (Light) – 103 calories.
Hold that thought! The crafted beer that you enjoy contains 170 to about 350 calories. Your mind thinks, ”Oh it is made out of wheat!” Sadly, beer contains too many calories and it straight hits your waistline.
A glass of margarita contains 168 calories. Bloody Mary is 120 calories and 145 ml of Chardonnay wine has 128 calories. 45 ml of vodka has 116 calories and so does whiskey. Your favourite Pina Colada has a whopping 526 calories. We are never ordering a Pina Colada ever again!
Now think of it – if you are consuming calories in the form of alcoholic drinks and eating fried foods with it, there is no doubt that you will gain a lot of weight!
What happens when you leave alcohol?
When you bid adieu to alcohol, you save lots of dollars and Euros. There is no dent in your pocket because you are not spending your money on alcoholic drinks that cost a bomb in most countries. Just think of it as a temporary high. Alcoholic makes your brain slow and you tend to slur because it has that effect.
When you leave alcohol, the following things will happen:
- Yes, you will lose weight. When you remove alcohol from your life, you will no longer intake extra calories. However, do not start drinking any other non-alcoholic drink. Water is great and you can even drink infused water. This is quite helpful to reduce weight and shrink. Additionally, people tend to eat a lot of junk while drinking alcohol. You will no longer eat fried peanuts, nuggets and other snacks along with your drink. Oh wait! You will not be having drinks anymore.
- No more dehydration, my friend! Alcohol consumption can dehydrate your body. You may have noticed that after drinking a lot of alcohol, you feel thirsty. Your mouth gets dry and you feel a certain itch inside of you. Skip the alcoholic drinks and increase water intake. It will flush out all the toxins from your body.
- More savings! You are no longer spending $50-$100 a week which means there is more money to spend on holidays and even retirement. Imagine saving $400 every month and you could have a whopping $4800 by the end of the year.
Your mental health, skin and body will improve. In fact, your body will thank you for the change.
Coming back to the main question – Will you be able to lose weight? The answer is a resounding YES!
Now there are a couple of things you need to know about weight loss. Jump to the next section.
Expecting a Miracle – BIG NO!
My dearest, leaving alcohol is the greatest decision of your life. You will surely do good to your body and will not consume excessive calories. However, losing weight depends on lifestyle changes. If you are binging by eating burgers and bacon-wrapped shrimps, then there is a very low chance of losing weight.
Add some workouts to your day and eat healthy. Binging once in a week is a given! However, you need to work out. You can add HIIT to your routine or go out for a run.
Take your dog for a walk! If they are hyperactive, they can make you run in the park. Add lots of leafy vegetables and fruits to your diet.
If you are eating healthy, working out and not drinking alcohol then there is a 100% chance that you will lose weight.
Do not wait for a miracle because your body requires a lot more to lose weight. Giving up on alcohol is a great start and you will surely reap great results, but do not sit around and wait for the inches and fat to melt away.
Have patience and follow a healthy routine. Make sure you put in the effort to get the body of your dreams. Staying fit is important to lead a happy and healthy life. So, say no to alcohol and work on your body by eating right and exercising.